A while back I had heard a little bit of talk from the Mojang guys about a version of Minecraft for mobile phones. It sort of stopped being discussed shortly thereafter and I imagine most people, like myself, pretty much forgot about it amidst the excitement of all the new updates to Minecraft Beta.
Well now Mojang has revealed that the Minecraft Pocket Edition has been in the works and is slated to be demoed at the next E3. It will be coming first to the Sony Xperia Play, and then to all Android devices. I’m hoping that an iPhone version is to come at some point, but until it does this is just one more reason that I might take a longer look at an Android device next time I upgrade my phone.
Here is a demo video of Minecraft Pocket Edition being played on the Xperia:
It looks to be just the creative mode at the moment, survival mode is supposed to be coming. I can’t imagine trying to run from a creeper with the controls on a phone though. Maybe the mobs will all be slowed down to compensate. Still, I’m looking forward to see what the final product on mobile devices looks like. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to jump on my SMP server from my phone and continue playing without too much difference from what the game is like on my PC.
- Xperia Play first in line for mobile Minecraft port (engadget.com)
- Mobile Minecraft Coming to Xperia Play First (escapistmagazine.com)
- Mobile Minecraft to Hit Sony Xperia Play First (pcworld.com)
- Minecraft Mobile Getting E3 Outing? [Rumor] (kotaku.com)
- Minecraft reportedly to launch on Android as an Xperia Play timed exclusive (thenextweb.com)
- Minecraft digging in on Xperia Play before other Android devices (joystiq.com)